Thursday 4 October 2012

Task 4a

After reading reader 4 I am not to sure on what i would specifically like to enquire about so here are some general questions.

1) Why does it seem like nowadays its all about who you know rather than what you know?

2) Is it hard for newly graduated performers to gain work because of limited work on there CV? Why is it a casting director would rather take someone with an amazing CV than give someone with just as equal talent a chance but has just graduated and has not got much on their CV?

3) How do you keep motivated so that after a year of no work and not many auditions you keep trying anyway?

4) Are reality TV shows and celebrities taking away jobs from some who have worked so hard in there career?

5) Why are some agents so involved with their clients and others not as much?

6) Should courses like this be more advertised in theatre and performing schools so people can have a back up plan and feel more secure?

In module 1 i blogged a little about African cinema, having worked at a tv studio there over summer here are some questions i was asking myself.

1) Why is it so much easier for older people to gain work in the industry than younger people? Is it because in Africa for the younger generation it is all about the fame and celebrity?

2) Why are there know proper agencies so others especially talented children get a chance to showcase there abilities?

3) Many schools in Ghana hold talent nights and other things is this not a chance for agents and directors to find actual talent?

4) Do you need qualifications to be in this industry?

5) Africans love entertainment so why is more money not pumped into advertising and better quality equipment.

Just a few questions i have been thinking about.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Afi,

    Good to hear from you. These questions are fantastic. I have asked them at certain points in my career many times. What was interesting is that the questions are really diverse and didn't carry a particular theme. I look forward to how will will discover a line of inquiry...

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Afi,

    I think your interest in African cinema is fantastic. I have worked and studied within the film and TV part of the media since I was 16 and haven't learned anything about it so I think I can learn a lot from you throughout the remainder of this course.

    I have also taken the time to answer your questions, I have had to relate mine to working in the Media if that's OK?

    1) I can understand nowadays why it may seem that it is who you know rather than what you know, however I have managed to gain work by both knowing people and knowing things. When I got my Media Technician role, which I am currently in, I had just finished college, so my tutors knew me and recommended me and I barely had an interview and go the job. Now, I want to be a Media Lecturer and even though I am aiming to work at my current workplace, I am having to undergo several courses and gain higher grades in order to continue further with my career.

    So in response to your question, I feel that it depends on what job you are going for as to whether it is who you know as opposed to what you know.

    2) I'm afraid I cannot answer this question as a performer, but in my line of work it seems that a CV is easier to analyze than the way in which a person actually works. I have known people who have gone for jobs with a shining CV, got the job and then basically ruined a lot of things within the area they work, and I have also known people who have made a huge impact (for the better) with hardly anything on their CV. I feel that employers should actually realize that in order to have a fuller CV, you need the opportunity to gain experience!!!

    3)Agai, as I am not a performer I have to answer this in my field of work. I have never experienced being out of work for a long period of time, but I feel that I would make sure that I have some filming equipment and try and make sure that I keep my desire alive by being as creative as I can be. Also the Internet is a great place to get noticed.

    4) I think that reality TV has made it harder for people to get jobs within the arts, this is probably because they are exposed for a long period of time and people grow accustom to these people, therefore casting them in something could possibly bring in the ratings more than if someone unknown was to be cast. The same concept for celebrities, I have been guilty for choosing to watch a film with a well known celebrity in it over watching an independent film with unknown people in it, however when watching the independent film at a later date, it was arguably a better film.

    5) I am sorry I cannot answer this question.

    6) I am sorry I cannot answer this question.


    I hope my answers are Ok and help you with your inquiry. It would be great if you would join my SIG. I have created a new facebook account in order to make it easier to build up a community.

    http://www.facebook.com/daniel.day1989?ref=tn_tnmn

    ReplyDelete